« Home | Me and God » | Ethan » | Get off my back Kim :) » | The kiddos » | Wolters family weekend! » | My new Bears blanket!!! » | Happy Valentines day!! » | Weekend!! » | Thanks Dave!! » | Should I write a book? »

My thoughts on gas (oline)

So, last summer I was sitting at work, and my co-worker got a phone call, which he seemed to be very excited about.

“What could it be?” I wondered.

Maybe his daughter had won an award at school. Or maybe his wife had gotten a big, fat raise. Maybe he had just gotten the call that his billionaire uncle, whom he had never even known about, had just left him his entire fortune. Surely, based on his reaction to whatever he was being told, it would have to be something of monumental proportions.

“Gas is two-thirty-two north of town!”

“What…?” That was all I could think to say.

That was what he was so excited about? Earlier in the day, I had filled up for $2.35, so I was thinking, “Wow. You can save three cents a gallon. That’s like… 50 cents off a tank.”

But apparently, I was the only one thinking that way, because within minutes, the whole office was abuzz.

“I hope it stays down ‘til after work.”

“No way! They’ll probably raise it at five minutes to five! Those con artists!!”

“Scoundrels!!!” I said…. Nobody picked up on my sarcasm.

“I’m gonna take an early lunch” said one woman as she ran to her car to take advantage of the greatest deal in the history of Gasoline… apparently. A year later, there are still skid marks in the parking lot.

After work, there was a rush to the door. It was like the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona! I thought surely I had seen my last day on earth. It had the potential to be like one of those mass catastrophes, like a stadium grandstand collapsing at an international soccer match where the fans get out of control… or a Michael Jackson concert gone bad… wait… no… never mind.

Later that night, after I had dressed my wounds and said the rosary, I was watching the news and saw a gas station with a line of cars a quarter mile long. This gas station was like… the Dutch Promised Land, flowing with milk and honey, and cheap gas!

Then it hit me…. These people that I work with live on the south side. That means that they’re driving about 5 miles out of their way to get to this gas station on the north side… in order to save, at most… 75 cents.

Being the antagonist that I am, I did some research and found that the average car uses approximately 15 cents worth of gas per mile. Multiply that by the 5 extra miles that they were driving, and they were paying 75 cents to save… 75 cents.

Sometimes there are just no words.

LOL, that is sooooooooooooo true. So you want my .10 cent coupon per gallon from Family Fare?

Post a Comment